The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) provides guidelines to organizations on how to improve the health and safety in warehouse and distribution centers. Line striping on floors allows traffic lanes, aisles, work, and storage areas to be marked to help identify their purposes and notify employees of the need to be cautious or to keep clear for safe operations. OSHA guidelines are not mandated by law but provided to help organizations in their efforts to ensure safety in the workplace.
Why use line striping?
Line striping notifies employees of hazards – hard hat, high noise, and hazard-chemical zones are all examples of areas that can be marked for hazard notification.
Line striping marks vehicle traffic lanes – when heavy machinery, forklifts, and transport vehicles are used in your facility, marking pedestrian and vehicle traffic lanes can help prevent serious accidents.
Line striping can improve organization and productivity – by using line striping to mark specific types of storage and containment zones, employees know what can and cannot be stored in them.
- Standard Line Striping Colors – Colors may differ according to company preferences and standards. However, the following colors and their designations are considered fairly standard.
- Red & White Stripe – Keep clear for safety/compliance reasons (Examples include electrical panels, fire-fighting, and safety equipment)
- Black & White Stripe – Keep clear for operational purposes not related to safety
- Yellow & Black Stripe – Denotes area that may cause exposure to physical or health hazards
- Red – Danger, Stop
- Yellow – Caution, Aisle ways & traffic lanes
- Blue – Material storage areas
- Photo-luminescent – marks steps and emergency exit routes in case of a lights-out situation
Xtreme Engineered Floor Systems Can Help
Correct positioning and high visibility of your floor markings are very important. The flooring professionals at Xtreme Engineered Floor Systems are well versed in line striping standards and regulations. Custom floor graphics including company logos, mottos, and symbols are available as well and can be applied to most any flooring surface. And our line-striping and custom floor graphic products are durable, abrasion and chemical resistant, so they last.
For safety, efficiency, and productivity, factories, warehouses, loading docks, and other industrial facilities need more than just a floor. Call Xtreme Engineered Floor Systems today to find out more about our floor marking and line-striping.